News from Khartoum
Journalist Resume Writing After Two Months Ban
Security authorities summoned Mr. Ahmed Younis Abaker, correspondent of Al Sharq Al Auwsat newspaper in Khartoum on 5 -6 May,2018. He was questioned for two articles he contributed to the London-based newspaper discussing political divisions within the ruling party and the confiscation of Al Jareeda newspaper by Sudan’s National Intelligence and Security Services (NISS). On 14 June 2018, security authorities ordered the External Media Division of Sudan’s Ministry of Information to revoke the license and ID of Ahmed Younis after being prohibited from writing. Geneva-based Karama Organization stated in a news item published on 2 August that security agents had earlier threatened Mr. Ahmed that he would be prohibited from practicing journalism. Meanwhile, Mr. Ahmed told the Monitor over the phone on Thursday 13 September 2018 at 2:45 pm that security agents cancelled the ban prohibiting him from resuming his journalistic activities and they informed Al Sharq Al Auwsat about the lifting of the ban but the newspaper told the security to convey the news to the journalist himself because he was not banned by the newspaper. “A security agent contacted me and told me to approach the External Media Division on 20 August 2018,” Mr. Ahmed said.
Summoning and banning journalist Ahmed Younis from practicing his journalistic work constitute violation of the right to freedom of expression contained in the Constitution of Sudan 2005 and Article (19) of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and at the same time violates the right of the public to access information through mass media referred to in Article (19) of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.